Macon's Music Today
Macon continues to inspire new music legends.
- Keyboard player & pianist
- Past member of The Allman Brothers Band & tour with Eric Clapton
- Has been a member of The Rolling Stones since the 1980's
- Internationally known violinist
- Nominated for a Grammy in 1990
- Founder of The Robert McDuffie Center for Strings at Mercer University's Townsend School of Music
- A multi-instrumentalist & composer
- Founding member of the alternative rock group, R.E.M.
- Macon native & reigning American Country Music "Entertainer of the Year"
- Filmed his music video for Gonna Know We Were Here in Downtown Macon in 2015
- Has held a benefit concert for the Children's Hospital for the last 2 years.
- Macon native named Miss America 2016
- Releasing an album this year titled Nicotine
Macon's music history continues to be an important part of Macon's present & future.
- Created by Jessica Walden, daughter of Phil Walden, former manager for Otis Redding, & Jamie Weatherford, local candy manufacturer at Crown Candy.
- Offer weekly public walking tours with experienced guides
- First opened in 1971
- Known as the Grassroots "Original Home of Southern Rock"
- Has a Wall of Fame ft. artists who have played their like Gregg Allman, Marshall Tucker Band, & more
Capricorn Records Building Project
- Lofts at Capricorn are being built around the former Capricorn Records recording studio where music greats like The Allman Brothers Band, Otis Redding, Marshall Tucker Band, & more recorded
- It will be a mixed-use development with apartments, offices, retail facilities, & a club house
There are plenty of local spots to listen to live music.
- Hummingbird Stage & Taproom
- Cox Capitol Theatre
- Macon Centerplex
- Thirsty Turtle
- Crazy Bull
- Bearfoot Tavern
Macon's musical heritage is iconic filled with deep roots in soul and southern rock. Learn about Macon's music history and where Macon's current music scene is going during GPB's Music Voyager.