Selecting a college is undoubtedly one of the biggest decisions a high school student will make. The college, as well as the college town, will essentially become a second home. In the fall of 2011, I decided to come to Mercer based on my campus tour experience. This was just the beginning of discovering the plethora of reasons that now make Mercer, and Macon, so dear to me.
My name is Kait Harvey and I am a senior at Mercer University majoring in marketing and Spanish. Go Bears! After three years in Macon, I have been able to see many facets that make Mercer University one of the "Best Values in the South”. I've listed a few below:
- Faculty: Mercer’s faculty members are some of the most committed interdisciplinary individuals I have ever encountered. Whether we are making paper in a lab class or studying the effects of disaster relief efforts in Armenia through Mercer on Mission, Mercer’s faculty is dedicated to creating a learning environment that makes an impact.
- Spirit: Mercer students love cheering on the Bears! With free student tickets, and plenty of SOCON championship titles, there is no reason to miss out on the action. Some of my favorite memories are centered on getting dressed up in orange and black to cheer for the bears in Five Star Stadium. (Top picture: My friends and I showcasing our school spirit during Homecoming)
- Campus: The beauty of Mercer’s campus can almost speak for itself. The ornate features of the Administration building, new equipment and dining options in the UC, and even the cherry trees and open space in Cruz Plaza all help create the warm and welcoming feel exuded by campus.
- Community: First and foremost, Mercer is a community. Each of the 100+ student organizations offers a unique way to get involved. Concerts, talent shows, academic fairs, intramurals, and campus events keep students engaged throughout the year. Through Greek Life at Mercer, my sorority, Alpha Delta Pi, helped me make friends, take leadership roles, and become involved both on campus and in the Macon community. Mercer freshmen are a part of an orientation group. Each group’s leader helps them discover college life and become connected to organizations and places in the area.
- Home Away from Home: Mercer and Macon are special places that capture the hearts of students. Homecoming highlights this value and presents the opportunity for alumni to reconnect on campus. Current students participate in a one-week competition featuring games, skit competitions, and other activities to amp up school spirit. This year’s celebration will be held October 23-25, and will culminate with a football game against VMI. Regardless of the reasons that bring students to Mercer, it ultimately becomes a home away from home for everyone.
Writer: Kait Harvey, Macon-Bibb County CVB Marketing Intern